Are you tired of the "Souls Formula"?

• 67 results
hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Poll Are you tired of the "Souls Formula"? (59 votes)

Yes 53%
No 47%

Heard of a lot of people complaining about souls and souls-like titles becoming stale after around Dark Souls 3 launched, but after Sekiro, and especially Elden Ring, its as if the "souls games are becoming boring" has never happened.

So for example, knowing fromsoft style of games, would you be excited if there were rumors about them announcing their brand new IP during the Doritos Pope event this summer?

• 
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#51 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23958 Posts

@hardwenzen said:
@Maroxad said:
@hardwenzen said:

We both know DS2 wasn't even made by the main fromsoft crew, so not too sure why you focus on the weakest link to make a point😑Not to mention that all its dlc's were excellent, and the level design in them was spot on.

Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V Ring had bad level design too. Except for a pockets of brilliance.

Not too sure what you're talking about on here, but as a hater of fromsoft throughout your whole career, i didn't expect anything less.

Elden Ring had good world design, it was beautiful to look at from a distance, but to actually play through ranged from tedious, to uninspired to slop.

Of the Legacy dungeons, there were only a few I would consider good.

1. Stormveil Castle
2. Raya Academy
3. Volcano Manor

Meanwhile, these range from uninspired, to tedious, to just a broken mess...

1. Redmane Castle
2. Leyndell (both parts)
3. Castle Morne
4. Caria Manor
5. Shaded Castle
6. Castle Sol
7. Ruin Strewn Precipice
8. Subterranean Shunning Grounds
9. Ainsel River
10. Lake of Rot
11. Crumbling Farum Azula

And this is before we even get into those atrocious asset flip dungeons.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Maroxad
@Litchie said:

I really enjoyed the level design in DS3. It was easy to know where to go, with plenty of secret pathways that were fun to find. Good sense of progression, neat shortcut unlocks, nice scenery.

DS1 level design was good too, the way it came together was neat. Just found it a bit annoying.

Yeah, both DaS1 and DaS3 had good level design. DaS1 really benefited from its forked linearity. Complex, but not convoluted. I dont find its level design as memorable as DaS1, but I remember enjoying it.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39416 Posts

@Maroxad said:
@hardwenzen said:
@Maroxad said:
@hardwenzen said:

We both know DS2 wasn't even made by the main fromsoft crew, so not too sure why you focus on the weakest link to make a point😑Not to mention that all its dlc's were excellent, and the level design in them was spot on.

Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V Ring had bad level design too. Except for a pockets of brilliance.

Not too sure what you're talking about on here, but as a hater of fromsoft throughout your whole career, i didn't expect anything less.

Elden Ring had good world design, it was beautiful to look at from a distance, but to actually play through ranged from tedious, to uninspired to slop.

Of the Legacy dungeons, there were only a few I would consider good.

1. Stormveil Castle
2. Raya Academy
3. Volcano Manor

Meanwhile, these range from uninspired, to tedious, to just a broken mess...

1. Redmane Castle
2. Leyndell (both parts)
3. Castle Morne
4. Caria Manor
5. Shaded Castle
6. Castle Sol
7. Ruin Strewn Precipice
8. Subterranean Shunning Grounds
9. Ainsel River
10. Lake of Rot
11. Crumbling Farum Azula

And this is before we even get into those atrocious asset flip dungeons.

Elden Ring, Dark Souls 1, Dark Souls 3, Sekiro and Bloodborne have amazing level design. Demon's Souls had a good level design, but too linear for the genre. When you have so many games in a row with genre defining level design, you don't need a phd to know that Fromsoft knows what's up, and cares about it being good.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Maroxad
@hardwenzen said:

Elden Ring, Dark Souls 1, Dark Souls 3, Sekiro and Bloodborne have amazing level design. Demon's Souls had a good level design, but too linear for the genre. When you have so many games in a row with genre defining level design, you don't need a phd to know that Fromsoft knows what's up, and cares about it being good.

I never said FromSoft are bad at level design.

FromSoft usually does good in that regard, which is why I said they are an 8/10 in terms of level design. Most of their games have solid level design, but ER and DaS2 proves they are not infalliable.

With their next game, I hope they go back to designing with quality over quantity in mind... maybe by then I can get past my MASSIVE let down from Elden Ring.

Edit: ANd please dont confuse yourself. Just because I didnt like Elden Ring doesnt mean I wasn't a fan of FromSoft. Up until ER, I usually bought their Collectors Editions.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 hardwenzen

@Maroxad said:
@hardwenzen said:

I never said FromSoft are bad at level design.

FromSoft usually does good in that regard, which is why I said they are an 8/10 in terms of level design. Most of their games have solid level design, but ER and DaS2 proves they are not infalliable.

With their next game, I hope they go back to designing with quality over quantity in mind... maybe by then I can get past my MASSIVE let down from Elden Ring.

Edit: ANd please dont confuse yourself. Just because I didnt like Elden Ring doesnt mean I wasn't a fan of FromSoft. Up until ER, I usually bought their Collectors Editions.

You find issues to complain about when there's none. This has been your life about everything fromsoft releases. No need to deny it because after ER, you'll be bitchin's their next game even if its a 98 on meta and wins goty everywhere.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8273 Posts

No.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Maroxad
@hardwenzen said:

You find issues to complain about when there's none. This has been your life about everything fromsoft releases. No need to deny it because after ER, you'll be bitchin's their next game even if its a 98 on meta and wins goty everywhere.

If I was going to whine about everything FromSoft related I would not be praising several of their games. I would have whined about Armored Core 6, yet I never commented on it. I am not like you, I do not hate on games I havent played.

Elden Ring sucked, but that doesnt mean I think everything by the devs sucks.

You are literally strawmanning me even though I explicitly stated contrary statements towards those you are putting in my mouth. Elden Ring was just a miss. FromSoft does well when they focus on quality over quantity.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3418 Posts

No. What else is happening in gaming that makes the formula look bad? COD has been the same since 2007 and comes out annually. Souls type games find ways to keep it fresh also.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 hardwenzen

@Maroxad said:
@hardwenzen said:

If I was going to whine about everything FromSoft related I would not be praising several of their games. I would have whined about Armored Core 8, yet I never commented on it. I am not like you, I do not hate on games I havent played.

Elden Ring sucked, but that doesnt mean I think everything by the devs sucks.

You are literally strawmanning me even though I explicitly stated contrary statements towards those you are putting in my mouth. Elden Ring was just a miss. FromSoft does well when they focus on quality over quantity.

You don't praise anything. All you do is bitch about their newest release. Since AC6 was very niche compared to their souls titles, you didn't bother, and stuck to ER. When their next magnum opus comes out, and makes Zelda look like a school project, you'll forget ER, and jump on hating their new game. Am i spot on? Yes, yes i am.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Maroxad

@hardwenzen: I didnt complain about AC6 because I didnt play AC6.

Unlike you, I don't complain about games I havent played.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By hardwenzen

@Maroxad said:

@hardwenzen: I didnt complain about AC6 because I didnt play AC6.

Unlike you, I don't complain about games I havent played.

Because you're not as talented as i am. Its normal that you must play and fully beat the game before having an opinion of any kind, which is cringe. If you followed gaming the way that i do, you could predict almost everything. If you have any questions, please ask away, i might help you get started.

Naylord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Naylord
Member since 2006 • 1127 Posts

I was tired of it when Dark Souls 3 released because that was an absurd streak of output with dark souls 2, bloodborne, 3 from From Software. Now I'm totally on board with loving everything From does again beacuse their output is slow enough to not saturate.

I'd lap up any Souls like from someone who is top tier, like Team Cherry or From Software. I feel like mediocre devs should stay away though; by nature it requires more investment from the player, and if your game is mid it's not worth the investment. I think plenty of mid AA games would be better suited to being looser easier action games.

Moistcarrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Moistcarrot
Member since 2015 • 1478 Posts

Yeah definitely, getting a bit tired of nearly every action game having the same type of combat/level design.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#65 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

Not necessarily, but don't know why yah bums would be tired of it. Roll left, plus R1 is the ceiling of yalls speed.

Ospi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Ospi
Member since 2006 • 561 Posts

I just don't play them. It's a superpower.

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#67  Edited By Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1336 Posts

I'm not tired of it.

I didn't like it in the first place!

and nothing puts me of a game quicker than hearing the words souls-esq

Miquella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#68  Edited By Miquella
Member since 2022 • 760 Posts

I'm just tired of its setting, Western fantasy gothic xyz... If the Asian setting was like Black Myth: Wukong, I wouldn't have any complaints