Are you tired of the "Souls Formula"?

• 67 results
hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Poll Are you tired of the "Souls Formula"? (59 votes)

Yes 53%
No 47%

Heard of a lot of people complaining about souls and souls-like titles becoming stale after around Dark Souls 3 launched, but after Sekiro, and especially Elden Ring, its as if the "souls games are becoming boring" has never happened.

So for example, knowing fromsoft style of games, would you be excited if there were rumors about them announcing their brand new IP during the Doritos Pope event this summer?

• 
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50610 Posts

No. Hell no I'm not sick of it!

I just want other devs to be better at it.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22809 Posts

Souls formula is still wonderful. Can be applied to so many concepts and game designs. They succeed with this formula because it asks gamers to be good at it and doesn't hold their hands like movie games do. Souls is king unless better gameplay comes along but that hasn't happened in more than a decade.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44344 Posts

No, can’t say that I am.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11662 Posts

Nope.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56268 Posts

Not tired of the Souls formula myself. But a little of more innovation on the genre would be appreciated.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59125 Posts

Guess so. Played a couple and enjoyed them, but didn't feel the need to play every game in the genre.

Don't hate them or anything, just as compelling as something like Doom clones.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39335 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

Guess so. Played a couple and enjoyed them, but didn't feel the need to play every game in the genre.

Don't hate them or anything, just as compelling as something like Doom clones.

But doom clones will never offer the whole package, tho. Like, the atmosphere, level design, enemies design/variety, etc. But when we're talking about newer fromsoft titles, they do offer the whole package every single time, so i don't think that doom clones and fromsoft made sequels or new ips are in the same boat here.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#8 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59125 Posts

Duke3d is better than Darksouls.

Doom 64 better than OOT etc..

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1170 Posts

I'm sick of Souls like games that can't capture the magic that FromSoftware seems to have on lockdown. No game has come even close. I give them a try, but something's missing that I can't quite put my finger on. I do wish From went back to their more linear type Souls games rather than the Elden Ring open world. :(

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10494 Posts
@Chutebox said:

I just want other devs to be better at it.

yeah this. lies of p was a bit sobering for me. like oh, so this is what happens when another dev tries to emulate. didn't even bother with lords of the fallen. fs just have the secret sauce. they tick every box for me, apart from visuals, although artistically they're generally great. can't wait for shadow of the erdtree. literally kid like excitement

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29826 Posts

Not for me. The only component of them I don't like are invasions really.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34696 Posts

No. Haven't played many games that imitate Souls though, mostly just the Souls souls. Games like Lies of Pi and Lords of the Fallen doesn't interest me. Nioh's cool though.

That said, pretty sick of Elden Ring. A new game would be nice.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14815 Posts

Yep

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 6043 Posts

I think all formulas are welcome and I rarely get tired of any.

Variety is the spice of live.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15581 Posts

No, I love the formula and the niche it satisfies, but I'm also not going to play every souls-like game there is so they really gotta bring it.

I'm not wasting my fucking time on mid-tier games like Lords of the Fallen when Lies of P exists and Elden Ring DLC is on the horizon.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1130 Posts

If you consider the countless games being released these days, not very many games are using it, especially well. I'm not tired of it, it's kind of the opposite where I wish there were more actual good ones. I'm not that sad though because I am still having fun dumping hours into the ones I have.

@Chutebox:

@Macutchi: @mycatismilk: Agreed

Robertos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Robertos
Member since 2023 • 1017 Posts

Not the open world variant like Elden Ring. I need more of those.

However, the linear ones are played out.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9408 Posts

Not at all. Love it. Hope to see more.

Would also like to see what FROM is doing after Elden Ring DLC. I'd actually like to see them do something dialed back a bit.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#19 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2966 Posts

To be fair I haven't played many of them outside of Elden Ring. But I don't know what people see in them. They don't excite me the same way other genres do, like racing, shooters etc.

The controls of these games generally feel clunky. Are Souls games more tactical though? Probably. But I prefer a good Michael Bay inspired action set over a calculated chess game against the computer.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61515 Posts

If done well, nope.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3085 Posts

Probably. I played the PS3 Demon's Souls, and loved it. After that I played Dark Souls and Bloodborne. Both are great games, but they gave me diminishing returns. I am an odd duck though. I get bored well before most people. It seems like if a new game blows me away, the sequels never hit the same fever pitch. But if the first game is solid and has potential, I get excited for what the sequel COULD be. It's unfair because the potential always excites me. It can be anything. Where the reality can't compare with endless possibilities.

With the clones, I generally feel like others. They just don't measure up to FS. And I have no interest in playing a bunch of 'not bad'. And that goes for all media; games, movies, music. I would rather have fewer experiences that I love, as opposed to a bunch of passable attempts. I waters down everything... at least for me. But that's the world we live in now; or have for the past decade or two.

Really, the only game o would like to see with Souls combat would be an MMO. Running headlong into battle with a 100 vs 100 armored up nutjobs sounds pretty fun. Pair that with some dynamic creature spawns. Like a goblin goes into an empty cave, and over time has a random chance to spawn more goblins. If left undisturbed they would spawn different types of goblin, like warriors, shamans, chieftains, etc. They would turn the cave into a goblin den, filled with gobliny stuff. And once they grow to a large enough size, send out warbands. God, I'm getting so hard.

But as far as standard Souls, yeah I'm bored.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18257 Posts

Not really, is not like i'm playing a Souls game every other week, so whenever a new Souls game is released, i'm all for it.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9580 Posts

Open world no, and likely never will. Linear, yes, that was old from the first game.

I'm playing Rise of the Ronin right now and plan to play Sekiro Shadows Die Twice and Nioh 2 after that. Although I'm also playing other games as well, so its a bit of a slow grind.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6377 Posts

It's funny how people act like hack n slash games weren't a thing before Fromsoft came along, you people are hilarious, "souls formula" 🤣🤣🤣

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hardwenzen

@last_lap said:

It's funny how people act like hack n slash games weren't a thing before Fromsoft came along, you people are hilarious, "souls formula" 🤣🤣🤣

You're in denial. Thank Fromsoft from the bottom of your heart. Without them, your remant series wouldn't exist.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 my_user_name  Online
Member since 2019 • 1258 Posts

Yes.

Set back melee combat for over a decade, time to move into the 2000s.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:

You're in denial. Thank Fromsoft from the bottom of your heart. Without them, your remant series wouldn't exist.

Remnant isn't "souls like" it's a third person shooter with rpg elements.

Thanking Fromsoft for Remnant would be like Fromsoft thanking Ubisoft for making open world games otherwise Eldin Ring wouldn't exist, it's a dumb opinion, but not surprising coming from you.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hardwenzen

@last_lap said:
@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:

Thanking Fromsoft for Remnant would be like Fromsoft thanking Ubisoft for making open world games otherwise Eldin Ring wouldn't exist, it's a dumb opinion, but not surprising coming from you.

Who are you trying to fool? Its a souls game with guns, and its a known fact before the original was even released. Without Fromsoft popularizing the style, your little indie dev would've never made Remnant 1.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:
@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:

Who are you trying to fool? Its a souls game with guns, and its a known fact before the original was even released. Without Fromsoft popularizing the style, your little indie dev would've never made Remnant 1.

Go watch your boy (Shill Up's) reviews of both Remnant games, and maybe you will understand, I don't hold out much hope, but maybe the thinking part of your brain works while watching them.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By hardwenzen

@last_lap said:
@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:
@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:

Go watch your boy (Shill Up's) reviews of both Remnant games, and maybe you will understand, I don't hold out much hope, but maybe the thinking part of your brain works while watching them.

Watched them when they came out. Not seeing your point, every reviewer pointed out that these games were heavily inspired by the souls titles. Obviously far behind in the level design, aesthetic, etc, but not bad considering that they're developed by a indie dev.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen: If you did you would know he doesn't state them to be heavily influenced from Dark Souls. They took some ideas from multiple different games and crafted their own game, but the game is a third person shooter, not a hack n slash game like Dark Souls.

So to sat the Remnant games wouldn't exist without Fromsoft/Dark Souls is just plain wrong, but you're not smart enough to know this.

End of story, From are a one trick pony, and have been milking the same games for more than a decade but it's fanbase just aren't sharp enough to notice yet lol.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hardwenzen

@last_lap said:

@hardwenzen: If you did you would know he doesn't state them to be heavily influenced from Dark Souls. They took some ideas from multiple different games and crafted their own game, but the game is a third person shooter, not a hack n slash game like Dark Souls.

So to sat the Remnant games wouldn't exist without Fromsoft/Dark Souls is just plain wrong, but you're not smart enough to know this.

End of story, From are a one trick pony, and have been milking the same games for more than a decade but it's fanbase just aren't sharp enough to notice yet lol.

Pretty sure that he does mention them being influenced by souls games like every other reviewer ever. Also, you're an adult, you shouldn't need some other dude to tell you if there's any souls influence or not. Its pretty damn clear that its influenced by Fromsoft titles, and the only reason you deny this is because you're somehow buttmad about fromsoft's success.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen: That's just it I don't need anybody, you do. The game takes influences from many games, you saying it wouldn't exist without DS/From is just dumb from you, but you are wenzen the clueless after all.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hardwenzen

@last_lap said:

@hardwenzen: That's just it I don't need anybody, you do. The game takes influences from many games, you saying it wouldn't exist without DS/From is just dumb from you, but you are wenzen the clueless after all.

I was saying this before the original game was released. In fact, anyone with a brain and a pair eyes were. I know its shocking to you, but its not my fault.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen: I can't help you wenzen, in fact nobody can.

Bye.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hardwenzen

@last_lap said:

@hardwenzen: I can't help you wenzen, in fact nobody can.

Bye.

Staying in denial won't help.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11185 Posts

As someone who's played a few of these games, I say they're getting a little oversaturated... like the Metroidvanias. We get it, you love Souls, what are adding to your game that's different?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58417 Posts

Yes, from the day it started. I do not like the sub-genre. I can appreciate why others like it, though, so I'm not being critical of it. It's just not for me.

If I was mildly interested, I would be suffering from fatigue due to oversaturation.

If I really enjoyed the genre, I'd be as happy as a clam.

Seems like for a while there we had a surplus of roguelikes, now we have a surplus of soulsborns. Masochists be having the time of their lives 😋

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#39 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69980 Posts

Yes

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44178 Posts

It's always been crap but my son loves'em.

Don't know where I went wrong with that boy. lol :P

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44621 Posts

No... I still haven't gotten around to playing Lies Of P either, been needing to. That being said I'm not so in love with them that I will play them back to back.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23944 Posts

Yes and no.

There are parts of the souls formula I don't care for, such as the mediocre combat mechanics, and overreliance on bosses as opposed to compelling non-boss encounter design. But their fair but punishing nature is as fresh as ever, they also tend to nail the atmosphere.

Problem is, outside of FromSoft, no one knows how to really make compelling boss fights for this genre, so most just end up being Souls with all of the bad and little of the good. And even FromSoft can miss from time to time, such as with Elden Ring and Dark Souls 2.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 hardwenzen

@Maroxad said:

Yes and no.

There are parts of the souls formula I don't care for, such as the mediocre combat mechanics, and overreliance on bosses as opposed to compelling non-boss encounter design. But their fair but punishing nature is as fresh as ever, they also tend to nail the atmosphere.

Problem is, outside of FromSoft, no one knows how to really make compelling boss fights for this genre, so most just end up being Souls with all of the bad and little of the good. And even FromSoft can miss from time to time, such as with Elden Ring and Dark Souls 2.

And the level design, the aesthetic, the enemies variety, the lore/story if you're into watching a 3h long vid on youtube and so on. They nail everything but the performance/engine of theirs.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8316 Posts

Yes I am, give it a rest for a while.

Always preferred the fast pace hack n slash action titles like NG, DMC, Bayonetta.

Make more of those type of games and less souls born.

Bring back Ariel combos and the jump button

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3449 Posts

I'm not. They make only for a small % of the games I play.

But I can't say that news of a new From Soft game excites me as much as it did. Like, right now, my hype for the ER DLC is at 0. Probably because I finished that game completely burned out on it, and Armored Core was a 5/10 turd. (Still ER is a 10/10)

I also enjoy their influence in gaming. Games like Blasphemous, Tunic or Lies of P are great examples.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Maroxad
@hardwenzen said:
@Maroxad said:

Yes and no.

And the level design, the aesthetic, the enemies variety, the lore/story if you're into watching a 3h long vid on youtube and so on. They nail everything but the performance/engine of theirs.

Yes, because Dark Souls 2 was well renowned for its Level design.

The aesthetics are good in Fromsoft games though, not difficult to do when they are basically just aping Berserk.

On average, Souls does well on Level Design, but it has never been truly great, still an 8/10. Mario, Doom, Rayman, Megaman, Metroid, Celeste and Portal all offer top notch level design.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 hardwenzen

@Maroxad said:
@hardwenzen said:
@Maroxad said:

Yes and no.

Yes, because Dark Souls 2 was well renowned for its Level design.

The aesthetics are good in Fromsoft games though, not difficult to do when they are basically just aping Berserk.

On average, Souls does well on Level Design, but it has never been truly great. Doom for example, has far better level design. 7/10

We both know DS2 wasn't even made by the main fromsoft crew, so not too sure why you focus on the weakest link to make a point😑Not to mention that all its dlc's were excellent, and the level design in them was spot on.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Maroxad
@hardwenzen said:

We both know DS2 wasn't even made by the main fromsoft crew, so not too sure why you focus on the weakest link to make a point😑Not to mention that all its dlc's were excellent, and the level design in them was spot on.

Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V Ring had bad level design too. Except for a pockets of brilliance.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 hardwenzen

@Maroxad said:
@hardwenzen said:

Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V Ring had bad level design too. Except for a pockets of brilliance.

Not too sure what you're talking about on here, but as a hater of fromsoft throughout your whole career, i didn't expect anything less.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#50 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34696 Posts

I really enjoyed the level design in DS3. It was easy to know where to go, with plenty of secret pathways that were fun to find. Good sense of progression, neat shortcut unlocks, nice scenery.

DS1 level design was good too, the way it came together was neat. Just found it a bit annoying.