Mufasa: The Lion King (prequel/sequel to The Lion King ‘live action’ remake)

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

Edited By Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26108 Posts

Didn't like the remake because it was a soul-less copy of the original, but this might be interesting. Doesn't seem like a straight prequel though, since it seems to be using flashbacks. Music is bound to be good, because Lin Manuel Miranda will be doing it!

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#1  Edited By DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8781 Posts

I'm fairly certain that's not live action but CGI animated.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Willy105

@DEVILinIRON: Oh for sure, everything is 100% CG. But it's sold as live action because that's what brings in the most audience.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58416 Posts

lol that's not live action.

Also, why? Why not animated?

Is animation just really expensive? Does it not appeal to kids anymore? Adults have clearly shown they enjoy anime and such. Maybe it's just me but I feel like Disney is really missing the mark in terms of artistic integrity (waits for laughing to stop)...maybe it's just easier to capitalize on parent's nostalgia for the original Lion King (animated) while getting the new generation (with the CGI bullshit).

Swear to god the last good animated feature for Disney was "Princess and the Frog" and that was like 15 years ago.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34693 Posts

Hard pass.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59115 Posts

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh................

Uhhhhh....

Uh.

Annoyed me especially with Ahsoka. Was looking forward to this as Filoni generally makes the best Starwars stuff.

But this was a bad take on my part. The show isn't bad, rather watch it over the other live action stuff, including boring shit like Andor, but it's apparent it's transition to "live action" has heavily degraded it.

And you can compare to it something like Tales Of The Jedi and with even limited knowledge instantly see this.

Disney use to be monumental with animation, and still are in CGI format, but this crap all the live action bad looking remakes, just, go away.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Willy105

@mrbojangles25: Although Princess and the Frog was great, some of the best work from Walt Disney Animated Studios came out in the decade since, like Frozen and Moana and Encanto and Wreck it Ralph. I wouldn’t throw them out just because they are CGI. I love and prefer 2D animation, but ignoring some of their best work just because of a different medium seems like old-man-yelling-at-clouds.

As for the rest, yes 2D animation is super expensive, especially when there isn’t a big enough workforce trained and experienced in 2D animation left in the US to make a full 2D feature. And even if there was, releasing a 2D feature to theaters would be suicide, since mainstream audiences have gotten used to the thinking of 2D = low budget, and CG = worth the money.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#7 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56255 Posts

Hold up, Mufasa: The Lion King releasing on the same day as Sonic the Hedgehog 3, well this should be very interesting but I reckon Sonic 3 will be the winner cause the last remake was just disappointing. I get that Disney likes the technology behind it, but animation will always be the king. (no pun intended)

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18802 Posts

@Litchie said:

Hard pass.

Easy pass for me.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4386 Posts

its both parts of the nature is real and parts are cgi.

so its a live action cgi movie.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7266 Posts

Nothing will come close to the OG.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8438 Posts

Why Disney keeps milking their classics with "live-action" remakes/prequels/sequels is beyond me, and then the audacity to make them vastly inferior to the originals.

These "live-action" movies represent everything wrong with modern cinema.

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1170 Posts

The remake of the Lion King was horrible. Going for realism with talking animals is silly. I could not connect with any of the characters like I was able to with the original, animated version. Why? Because they were a lot more expressive with their faces. The remake was without life. So I have zero interest in this prequel that I didn't want or ask for. I'm curious what pandering Disney is going to throw into this?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mrbojangles25
@jaydan said:

Why Disney keeps milking their classics with "live-action" remakes/prequels/sequels is beyond me, and then the audacity to make them vastly inferior to the originals.

It's the nostalgia/next-gen double-whammy.

Appeal to millennials with kids; appeal to the millennials' sense of nostalgia by making the film as familiar as possible to what they saw as children, and appeal to the kids by making it all CGI and stuff.

Save money because apparently CGI is cheaper than traditional animation these days.

Disney doesn't make art any more, they make products. A cynic would say that about a lot of places, but with Disney I feel it is especially true.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mrbojangles25

@uninspiredcup: yup, there was A LOT lost in translation with Ahsoka going from animated to live-action.

And I like Rosaria Dawson, too; it has nothing to do with the acting, the general plot....the magic was just lost.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@mrbojangles25: Exactly. But want to make clear, still lots to like. A fire-fight amount building sized whales weaving in and out of them. The Baylan/Ahsoka fight is probably the best actual live action duel since ROTS. And episode 6 (barring how completely dumb it is that Ezra is like 10 minutes away for 5 years and she finds him in 10 minutes) is easily my fav episode of the live-action shows.

But it's still a downgrade, no getting around it. The animation team are just, better and Filoni works better in that medium. Again, didn't think it was bad or anything, not like the meme Gamespot reviewer rambling about Filoni on Twitter. Just left asking "why did this have to be live action?"

Final episode tough was legit terrible. 0 tension, the fighting and action scenes look so bad, Morgan killed off unceremoniously with a KI boost. Thrawn just, useless. Dumb. A predictable ending that will just confuse people who didn't follow the Floni cartoon stuff.

Bahhhdddd

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jaydan
@mrbojangles25 said:
@jaydan said:

It's the nostalgia/next-gen double-whammy.

Appeal to millennials with kids; appeal to the millennials' sense of nostalgia by making the film as familiar as possible to what they saw as children, and appeal to the kids by making it all CGI and stuff.

Save money because apparently CGI is cheaper than traditional animation these days.

Disney doesn't make art any more, they make products. A cynic would say that about a lot of places, but with Disney I feel it is especially true.

I was more or less being sarcastic about that. Of course I know "why" they do it, and still yet, it represents everything wrong with modern cinema.

Disney is capable of making a good movie still. Most recently, Encanto was was brilliant and peak Disney.

Problem is: Disney also chooses to be lazy most of the time and it's catching up to the company as 2023 was one of the worst years in the entire history of Disney. Worse than the Black Cauldren era of creative bankruptcy and cheapness.

It will be unfortunate if Disney completely loses their top market: the multi-generational family. Disney always had the benefit of parents growing up to show Disney to their kids, and their kids showing their kids. But nowadays if more people say they're done with Disney over their cheap and malicious tactics to the film industry, tourism and what other industries they're in, and it breaks the multi-generational chain, Disney as a company will be in tough waters ahead (they already are).

But let's keep making these lazy "live-action" factory movies. That'll win audiences back.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38684 Posts

@DEVILinIRON said:

needs to be called "cgi animated to look like live action"

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jaydan

@comp_atkins said:
@DEVILinIRON said:

These movies really only sell the suspension of disbelief when they still resonate as cartoons and not trying to be live-action.

I think Pixar gets the idea right. Take Soul, for example. Photorealistic sets, yet still intentionally a cartoon by design.

Loading Video...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
@jaydan said:
@comp_atkins said:
@DEVILinIRON said:

These movies really only sell the suspension of disbelief when they still resonate as cartoons and not trying to be live-action.

I think Pixar gets the idea right. Take Soul, for example. Photorealistic sets, yet still intentionally a cartoon by design.

Loading Video...

One thing noticed with Lucasfilm Animation under Disney, the OG Clone Wars looks like shit now, and then get to the tail end the technology improved. Now, with Disney feels less like you're watching something made for TV and more like you're watching a motion picture. The art-style, motion, music score, everything is now through the roof.

Loading Video...

It's good to the point that given the choice between live action and the animation team behind these, for the Starwars product at least the animation team wins every-time.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17678 Posts

Why. Why? WHY???

Has Disney learned absolutely nothing?

This realistic approach is incompatible with the need to anthropomorphize the animals to be able to convey expression and emotion, which is the necessary underpinning that the film relies on to sell it to the audience. While I adore hand-drawn animation, I would not mind a 3D CGI approach, as long as the artstyle was cartoony and conducive to the necessity of anthropomorphising the animals in the conveyance of human emotion.

This is absolutely paramount. Realism is NOT compatible you dopes! Do these imbeciles not even watch their own movies? These films should’ve been shut down at the pitch long before they even started production.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8313 Posts

2D animation was peak Disney

The 3D CGI stuff sucks