The Jump from PS4 to PS5 is much, much more substantial then the Jump from PS3 to PS4

• 55 results
Avatar image for DarthaPerkinjan
DarthaPerkinjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DarthaPerkinjan
Member since 2005 • 1318 Posts

• PS3 GPU - 0.4 Tflops
  • XB0 GPU - 1.2 Tflops
  • PS4 GPU - 1.8 Tflops
  • PS5 GPU - 9.2 Tflops

Jumps between these generationss in raw GPU power was a little over 4x. 9.2 Tflops is a big number. Microsoft really went all out with 12 Tflops and thats really cool. But it does not mean 9 Tflops is not enough to be considered a proper jump over last gen, as the numbers plainly show.

Yes the One X had 6 Tflops and the Pro had 4.5, but did any studio truly take advantage of this power to do anything more then bump up the frame rate and/or resolution?

• PS3 Memory - 0.5GBs
  • PS4 Memory - 8GBs GDDR5
  • PS5 Memory - 16GBs GDDR6

Its not necessary for the PS5 to have a huge leap in memory anymore as the High Speed SSD can load large portions of the world instantly, whereas with the slow HDD of PS4 portions of the game world had to be preloaded all into memory in order to avoid constant, extensive loading screens.

Besides, did anybody really expect a 16x jump in memory again? Did you expect the PS5 to have 128GBs of GDDR6?

• PS4 CPU - 8 cores running at 1.8GHZ (Jaguar)
  • PS5 CPU - 8 cores running at 3.2GHZ (Ryzen RDNA2)

Again, the difference is enormous. Your looking at a CPU based around lower power use and efficiency vs a CPU built for high performance gaming and multimedia with far superior architecture.

Theres a reason why PS4 launched at $399 and was profitable straight away whereas the PS5 will likely be $499+ and could still lose Sony money.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

The more you advance in tech, the less the multiplication in performance matters.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Sushiglutton  Online
Member since 2009 • 9875 Posts

Good thread! I also think the elimination (or close to) of loading times is such an amazing quality of life feature. The jump from ps3 to ps4 had nothing like that.

fileman3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By fileman3
Member since 2005 • 401 Posts

Late next gen games are gonna be incredible

Both consoles are huge upgrades over this gen

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#5 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Current gen games still look amazing, and we are about to get another generational leap, and a massive one! These are great times to be a gamer.

FemtoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By FemtoG
Member since 2020 • 64 Posts

@DarthaPerkinjan: lol it's 10.3tf.. why do people insist taking made up scenarios and passing them off as fact?

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12577 Posts

Is that 9.2 number official now? Didn't think so.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18805 Posts

@joshrmeyer: @femtog:

lol

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14816 Posts

I would sure hope so.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I'm pretty happy with what was shown in the tech demo. Finally excited about next gen. That said, Sony still has to deliver the games and keep the PS5 affordable.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45320 Posts

@Telekill said:

I'm pretty happy with what was shown in the tech demo. Finally excited about next gen. That said, Sony still has to deliver the games and keep the PS5 affordable.

Yea I agree. Excited about the graphical possibilities, but games will always be number 1.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#12  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70019 Posts

GPU

The PS3 GFLOPs was 252.

The PS4 is 1.84 TFLOPs.

Difference is ~7.3x

The PS5 is 10.2 TFLOPS

Difference to the PS4 5.6x

Difference to the PS4 Pro 2.4x

Developers did take advantage of the additional power. Stating just a resolution bump as if an increase in resolution doesn't warrant additional power is silly. So, in terms of the GPU the PS5 is not a more substantial jump from PS3 to PS4. It is a smaller jump and even smaller jump from the Pro to PS5.

Memory

PS3 512MB

PS4 8GB

PS5 16GB

8x to 2x. The jump again is substantially smaller than the jump from the PS3 to PS4.

CPU

This was is a bit tricky because of the cell but its my understanding the upgrade was not much but the upgrade to the Zen 2 is going to be around 4x faster. This is one area in which the upgrade from PS4 to PS5 is going to be greater than the PS3 to PS4.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

OP conveniently leaves out the XSX teraflops lol.

Man, the ps5 is gonna suuuuuck!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Pedro

@mclarenmaster18 said:

Xbox Series X and PS5 are both stronger than Switch!

Magnitudes stronger.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9581 Posts

This whole thread was made to start a war... lol. OC'd or not it's 10.3. I don't really care either way. The more I hear about both consoles the more I like them.

Also, Ghost of Tsushima looks awesome after I saw the gameplay... I don't know what I was expecting (more souls crap maybe) but it went from meh to a definite buy.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@WitIsWisdom: Ghost of Sashimi is basically AC Japan lol.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39389 Posts

@i_p_daily said:

Forza is basically the same game every year just like Call of Duty lol.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hardwenzen

@mclarenmaster18 said:
@hardwenzen said:
@i_p_daily said:

Are you sure about that?

Forza Motorsport 8 and Gran Turismo 7 both may have driving physics improvement.

Unlike Call Of Duty, which have minor improvements.

You can say the same thing about cod with its new engine, animations, audio, etc. But do noticeable changes come with every entry? Hell no. Its just like Madden and Fifa games, milking the same game for so long.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#21 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5177 Posts

@Pedro said:

GPU

The PS3 GFLOPs was 252.

The PS4 is 1.84 TFLOPs.

Difference is ~7.3x

The PS5 is 10.2 TFLOPS

Developers did take advantage of the additional power. Stating just a resolution bump as if an increase in resolution doesn't warrant additional power is silly. So, in terms of the GPU the PS5 is not a more substantial jump from PS3 to PS4. It is a smaller jump and even smaller jump from the Pro to PS5.

Memory

PS3 512MB

PS4 8GB

PS5 16GB

8x to 2x. The jump again is substantially smaller than the jump from the PS3 to PS4.

CPU

This was is a bit tricky because of the cell but its my under upgrade was not much but the upgrade to the Zen 2 is going to be around 4x faster. This is one area in which the upgrade from PS4 to PS5 is going to be greater than the PS3 to PS4.

This

The leap isn't as big as people think.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9581 Posts

@i_p_daily said:

lol... yeah that's true man, but it piqued my interest. I was, for whatever reason, expecting it to look like a Souls type game which I feel has been beat into the ground in recent years. Don't get me wrong, I get that AC has had its fair share of games as well.

What I find interesting about Ghost though is that perhaps it will push the next AC game (or the one after that since they are probably nearing the end of the current dev cycle) and perhaps they can help evolve the franchise and genre. AC has kind of had free reign to be lazy in some regards since they haven't had much competition in their field over the years.

I actually liked the animations I saw and although I would like to see more I was pleasantly surprised with what I did see. I went from a probably won't buy to a day one just like I did with the XSX after I started learning more about it.

I am actually kind of stoked for both Ghost and Valhalla. Samurai/Ninja and Vikings? Hell yeah, sign me up... now if the games wind up being terrible, shallow, or repetitive (like the genre tends to be)... well, I have no one to blame for buying them other than myself. As of right now though (as sad as it is to say) those are two of my most anticipated games.

On that note, next gen can't come fast enough since things are always pretty dry in the coming months of new console releases. I can always play PC or phone/tablet games to help fill some of the time, but console gaming has always been my go to and the choices are more than a little limited right now.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7247 Posts

@DarthaPerkinjan said:
  • PS3 GPU - 0.4 Tflops
  • XB0 GPU - 1.2 Tflops
  • PS4 GPU - 1.8 Tflops
  • PS5 GPU - 9.2 Tflops

Jumps between these generationss in raw GPU power was a little over 4x. 9.2 Tflops is a big number. Microsoft really went all out with 12 Tflops and thats really cool. But it does not mean 9 Tflops is not enough to be considered a proper jump over last gen, as the numbers plainly show.

Yes the One X had 6 Tflops and the Pro had 4.5, but did any studio truly take advantage of this power to do anything more then bump up the frame rate and/or resolution?

• PS3 Memory - 0.5GBs

Its not necessary for the PS5 to have a huge leap in memory anymore as the High Speed SSD can load large portions of the world instantly, whereas with the slow HDD of PS4 portions of the game world had to be preloaded all into memory in order to avoid constant, extensive loading screens.

Besides, did anybody really expect a 16x jump in memory again? Did you expect the PS5 to have 128GBs of GDDR6?

Again, the difference is enormous. Your looking at a CPU based around lower power use and efficiency vs a CPU built for high performance gaming and multimedia with far superior architecture.

Theres a reason why PS4 launched at $399 and was profitable straight away whereas the PS5 will likely be $499+ and could still lose Sony money.

no no no I tried to say this but xbox fans say the ssd only helps when booting up the game faster. they say it works the same with a hdd. the ssd not going to make these game better or look better.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Gifford38
@gifford38 said:
@DarthaPerkinjan said:
  • PS3 GPU - 0.4 Tflops
  • XB0 GPU - 1.2 Tflops
  • PS4 GPU - 1.8 Tflops
  • PS5 GPU - 9.2 Tflops

• PS3 Memory - 0.5GBs

no no no I tried to say this but xbox fans say the ssd only helps when booting up the game faster. they say it works the same with a hdd. the ssd not going to make these game better or look better.

also impossible to load any thing from the ssd in a frame by frame. ssd are to slow for this. because they say so.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

and the games will be the same shallow bs.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gifford38

nope not according to the xbox guys in system wars. ssd only boot games faster. nothing will change going from a hdd to a ssd when developing these games other than fast loading times. they will just load faster. not going to change how these games are coming off the ssd.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Gifford38

@Pedro said:

GPU

The PS3 GFLOPs was 252.

The PS4 is 1.84 TFLOPs.

Difference is ~7.3x

The PS5 is 10.2 TFLOPS

Memory

PS3 512MB

PS4 8GB

PS5 16GB

CPU

This was is a bit tricky because of the cell but its my understanding the upgrade was not much but the upgrade to the Zen 2 is going to be around 4x faster. This is one area in which the upgrade from PS4 to PS5 is going to be greater than the PS3 to PS4.

yes but according to you going from a hdd to a ssd is not going to change any thing other than load speeds to the title screen of the game. so we should of stuck with the hdd to save money. ssd not going to change how they build there games. just going to load faster. the ssd not going to change how the gpu gets its data. not going to change how these open worlds are made. ssd is to slow to load in assets in frame by frame. not going to change anything at all. just faster loading the game when getting to the title screen. ssd not going to change the work load of the gpu at all.

see I got it right now. the series x ssd is not going to help that system in any way at all to.

we all should of just used hdd instead.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3418 Posts

@Sevenizz: You realize PS4 had a bigger advantage over XO right? Did that make XO suck? You guys have to run this slight power advantage (which will be mitigated by things PS5 does better) right into the ground because you know that's all you have. PS5 will have more players due to more sales, more games, better games, better ui, better controller, etc. Sucks to be a lem doesn't it?

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3418 Posts

@Sevenizz: You realize PS4 had a bigger advantage over XO right? Did that make XO suck? You guys have to run this slight power advantage (which will be mitigated by things PS5 does better) right into the ground because you know that's all you have. PS5 will have more players due to more sales, more games, better games, better ui, better controller, etc. Sucks to be a lem doesn't it?

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Gifford38

@Sagemode87 said:

Well at least they have that while they play the waiting game for new games. ow wait they can play original xbox games to. lol the power advantage is all they have to fight sony with.

games don;t matte to them any more. only power sells consoles just tereflops.

they say were are the ps5 games? easy there being made. we know this because they made games until the very end of ps4.

they waited all gen to get first party games for there xbox one. now they buy next gen just for them to finally put games on xbox one. that is sad

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#31 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

The Jaguar CPU held back this gen big time the console jump was more incremental so many downgrades so disappointing.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Pedro

@gifford38 said:

yes but according to you going from a hdd to a ssd is not going to change any thing other than load speeds to the title screen of the game. so we should of stuck with the hdd to save money. ssd not going to change how they build there games. just going to load faster. the ssd not going to change how the gpu gets its data. not going to change how these open worlds are made. ssd is to slow to load in assets in frame by frame. not going to change anything at all. just faster loading the game when getting to the title screen. ssd not going to change the work load of the gpu at all.

see I got it right now. the series x ssd is not going to help that system in any way at all to.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61519 Posts

@gifford38 said:

see I got it right now.

That isn't a sentence that you should ever use.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

@Sagemode87: Boring movie and anime games is what you got. Pass. And better UI and controller? Lmao no. Also, if you like online play, the ps brand is awful - always has been.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@mclarenmaster18 said:
@hardwenzen said:
@i_p_daily said:

Are you sure about that?

Forza Motorsport 8 and Gran Turismo 7 both may have driving physics improvement.

Don't mind this alt as I have broken him and now he's stalking me LMFAO.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hardwenzen

@i_p_daily said:
@mclarenmaster18 said:
@hardwenzen said:
@i_p_daily said:

Are you sure about that?

Don't mind this alt as I have broken him and now he's stalking me LMFAO.

Hello smartphone gamer :) :) :) How are you today?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@gifford38 said:
@Sagemode87 said:

Well at least they have that while they play the waiting game for new games. ow wait they can play original xbox games to. lol the power advantage is all they have to fight sony with.

they say were are the ps5 games? easy there being made. we know this because they made games until the very end of ps4.

they waited all gen to get first party games for there xbox one. now they buy next gen just for them to finally put games on xbox one. that is sad

The loss of power is really hurting the herd, here hold this secret sauce bottle for next gen lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@hardwenzen: So first you use casual4evers material and now you're trying to use mine lol.

Maybe ask your mum to come and help you write something original, oh wait she doesn't know you're using her computer again without permission, my bad :(

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 hardwenzen

@i_p_daily said:

@hardwenzen: So first you use casual4evers material and now you're trying to use mine lol.

Maybe ask your mum to come and help you write something original, oh wait she doesn't know you're using her computer again without permission, my bad :(

Can i ask your mom? 😊😊😊

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40  Edited By ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

You created a thread just to say that the PS5 has 9.2 Terraflops. You guys are incredible 🤣

This plus the video played on a laptop somehow demonstrates that the Unreal Engine 5 demo built and played on a PlayStation 5 dev kit “runs” better on a laptop. You guys are on roll this week.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#41  Edited By iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4580 Posts

games have looked better than I ever could've imagined as a kid. At this point it's just icing on the cake to me. Just bring the quality games and I'm happy.

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 NfamousLegend
Member since 2016 • 1005 Posts

RSX was never rated at 400GFLOPS, just stop. Also where is this 9.2Tflop PS5 coming from? PS3 was rated at 192 and X360 at 240Gflops. PS3 to PS4 is about a 9.5X GPU increase.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@femtog:

Because they are not happy with their miserable 18 GPU gap.😂😂

The more they push the whole 9.2TF the more you see they are more frustrated with the gap been just 18% than anything more.

Specially since the PS4 had 40% gap in 2013 and was $100 cheaper,hell this time they may not even get an equal pricing and that gap could cost them a little higher price tag than the PS5.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Gifford38

@i_p_daily said:
@gifford38 said:
@Sagemode87 said:

The loss of power is really hurting the herd, here hold this secret sauce bottle for next gen lol.

no the fact i had a 360 but Microsoft needs something to get me back on bored. im not a pc gamer so im not going to say well i have a pc to play xbox games. I like having more than one system but i only had one this gen because there was nothing on the xbox one that told me to get one.

im waiting for fable to be announced. the fact is xbox one games will come out when the series x comes out. it's a gen late. i will be skipping xbox one all together. i like competition and exclusives because without it these game companys would give us crap without the competition. I always been a sony fan but im more of a game fan. back in the day i had sega, nin and turbo graphix 16. because it had games i wanted.

once xbox comes out with games that appeal to me I will get off there backs. until then im stuck choosing one system. the switch does not appeal to me neither but that is do to there pricing and weak performance.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Gifford38
@ButDuuude said:

You created a thread just to say that the PS5 has 9.2 Terraflops. You guys are incredible 🤣

This plus the video played on a laptop somehow demonstrates that the Unreal Engine 5 demo built and played on a PlayStation 5 dev kit “runs” better on a laptop. You guys are on roll this week.

that was depunked from sweeny him self. I take the head guy at epic word over some Chinese employee.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Gifford38
@Pedro said:
@gifford38 said:

sorry I was in a bad mood yesterday lol. I was getting salty because every time I was saying something nice about the ssd every one attached me for it. just never mind this post I will never go to this low level again lol. have a good day pedro.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

Even though Sony's marketing around PS5 if full of shit, I'm actually really looking forward to the console. Primarily because of the first-party titles and console-only games.

Couldn't care less about TFLOPS and other shit. The better the games are, the better the platform is.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@i_p_daily:

There is only 1 secret sauce kings and lemmings are them.

How else do you think they inflate 18.3% gap into a more than 30% gap and how magically closed a 40% gap with magic api and a magic cloud.😂

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@DarthaPerkinjan said:
  • PS3 GPU - 0.4 Tflops
  • XB0 GPU - 1.2 Tflops
  • PS4 GPU - 1.8 Tflops
  • PS5 GPU - 9.2 Tflops

• PS3 Memory - 0.5GBs

PS3 GPU's GFLOPS are not asymmetric functions and unable to perform full-speed FP32 compute. Up to six CELL's SPEs handles some GPU workloads.

XBO GPU 1.31 TFLOPS FP32

PS4 GPU 1.84 TFLOPS FP32

PS5 GPU has up to 10.275 TFLOPS FP32 and 20.55 TFLOPS FP16 at 2.23Ghz. Another 11 TFLOPS from RT cores assuming it's a proportion from XSX GPU. ~2 Ghz in fixed frequency mode.

----------

PS4 CPU - 8 cores running at 1.6 GHZ (Jaguar). Each Jaguar CPU can execute 8 FP32 operations per clock cycle via dual pipeline SSE4/AVX-128.

PS5 CPU - 8 cores running up to 3.5 GHZ (Ryzen Zen 2). 3 Ghz in fixed frequency mode. Each Zen 2 CPU can execute 32 FP32 operations per clock cycle via quad AVX 2 pipelines.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#50 Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34698 Posts

I'll be the judge of that, thank you very much.