Best, somewhat-recent Battlefield game with active community?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

Poll Best, somewhat-recent Battlefield game with active community? (8 votes)

BF V: good ol' WWII! 25%
BF1: change of pace to WWI! 13%
BF 4: modern-era and the most recent! 13%
BF 3: also modern-era...but less new. 38%
Play something else! (Squad, Hell Let Loose, etc) 13%

...that isn't BF 2043

Just curious; looking to get back into multiplayer FPS and I've historically always enjoyed the Battlefield series.

To my knowledge the ones I listed are still somewhat active. However I heard support/updates have stopped for BF1, and they're essentially done making new content for BF2043 (not that I want to play that one).

Curious how the communities are with BF3 and BF4 as well, the two current-era titles.

I didn't really think much of BFV; not great, not bad...I could get back into it I suppose.

Or should I try something else? I'm on PC so there's lots of options; looking for something somewhat grounded in realism but not sim-like, so Hell Let Loose and Squad might not be the best options. Maybe Battlebit Remastered?

• 
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#1  Edited By Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26108 Posts

Not sure about console, but the only Battlefield games on PC that aren’t well populated are Hardline and BF3.

No Battlefield game is getting content updates anymore as all work is now on the upcoming unannounced game. However, BFV was recently updated with new anti-cheat software.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#2  Edited By BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17843 Posts

BFV for sure. The others feel outdated or don't play as well. The gunplay and movement in BFV is unmatched. There is also a very immersive and connected feel to the game world where there is animations for everything like getting in and out of vehicles. You can build fortifications, there are ammo and resupply areas around the map, there are squad reinforcements, squad revives, etc... It encourages and rewards good teamplay. It has depth and is the closest to the old school BF games like BF 1942 and BF2 before the series started becoming dumbed down for casuals.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58417 Posts

@BassMan: Sweet, I'll give BFV another go.

I did enjoy it at release but haven't played much of it since then.

Yeah the movement was great, iirc I think they used some of the mocap technology from the Madden series to implement a lot of the movement in that game, and it worked out really well.

Definitely enjoyed some of the squad-based stuff, it really worked organically (as in, people sort of naturally made use of it. Usually you need coordination for stuff like that).

Wonder if I should join a clan, get serious about it.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61515 Posts

I picked up Battlebit Remastered, which I haven't stepped into cos I kinda forgot. Kinda takes the Minecraft graphics approach to Battlefield, but is apparently very popular.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#5 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2966 Posts

BF3 is kind of dead, but it's the last one I really enjoyed. Plus dat campaign.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9580 Posts

4 is the best BF game on that list. Not sure how active the servers are these days, but it's the best BF game ever made

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34696 Posts

BassMan makes BFV sound good.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46483 Posts

If you got some friends on your friendlist that play Helldivers 2, I'd just recommend that one, it's a great squad based shooter and I feel people on the team can fullfill certain roles.

BF 1 and BF V aren't bad I suppose, but they no longer have any active development going on so you will get tired of the same maps and same weapons.