Storage!... Are we about to repeat history?

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Its no secret that both Sony and Microsoft are putting emphasis on storage with all the benefits they say will come with NVME's but what I noticed after re-watching those hardware reveals... Both companies seem to be aware that Storage size's are not enough, as both made it very clear how to install a new NVME and Microsoft even going the proprietary route.

So are we doomed to repeat what happened during with the PS3 and X360?... Both consoles released with hard drive size's that weren't enough for that generation of games.

Once the manufacturing costs went down during that generation the PS3 slim came out with 250-500GB storage vs the 60GB offered at launch.

Games are hitting 90GB with ease now and understand that NVME's will offer caching so games sizes COULD reduce in size next generation BUT to what extent?... 10GB's less off a 90GB game?...

It seems it could be the case as both companies seem to be off the bat talking about expandable storage.

NVME prices, 1GB patches, 10GB DLC, 90GB games sizes... Sure people will say just delete games you don't play and make space?... The trouble with that is if you want to play that game again and you don't have a fast broadband connection you get this:

Clearly deleting games once you finished them will cause issues if you want to replay them.

I have had Forza Horizon 4 installed since I got it... I don't play it all the time but when I get a itch to play a racing game one Saturday morning, I don't have the time to wait 3 hours to re-download it every time.

I HOPE caching does its magic but the fact that both companies are talking about external storage during a hardware reveal in that much detail has me worried that we are about to get f***ed with expensive expandable memory.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61519 Posts

Yeah, storage space is a major issue, but SSDs will only compound that. Otherwise, people may need to upgrade internet, or lambast companies if they throttle speeds. Personally, I have a gigabit connection in Canada... How? We've been largely shite for infrastructure.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#3 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70019 Posts

Back the game up on an external drive. Problem solved. 🙃

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#4  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17849 Posts

I am not worried about it as I only play exclusives on console. So, the amount of games installed will be minimal. Thankfully, I can have any configuration of drives that I want on PC. So, if I want one massive drive, I can do that. If I want multiple smaller drives, I can do that. If I want multiple drives in a RAID configuration for even more speed, I can do that. I also don't have to physically swap out drives. They are always connected to my PC. :)

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58421 Posts

@Pedro said:

Can you do that on console?

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23719 Posts

@mrbojangles25:

Yup, can back up your games and other data.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9411 Posts

I'd rather have an SSD and have to re-download.

Then again I'm only going to be playing an exclusive on a console so it likely won't affect me.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@Pedro said:

This is what I will do on PC as I have a 6GB WD BLUE for storage... But will it even be possible with next generation consoles with all the caching that will be going on?... Will they lock transferring files to a traditional HDD prevent corruption of those files. Sony made it very clear you need to match there speeds for storage and they will have a list of drives compatible.

The image is not mine, my brother sent me that image last week when he got bored in lockdown and ordered a PS4 Pro with CODMW and was hit with the reality of his connection. I just added it for impact to the topic.

1TB fast NVME's are $200!... In order to increase the PS5 storage to 2TB your looking at $400+. That is unprecedented.

I upgraded my PS4 Pro to a 2TB SSHD for $90.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Grey_Eyed_Elf
@lundy86_4 said:

Yeah, storage space is a major issue, but SSDs will only compound that. Otherwise, people may need to upgrade internet, or lambast companies if they throttle speeds. Personally, I have a gigabit connection in Canada... How? We've been largely shite for infrastructure.

That's my brother's pictures I used to help the topic.

Where I live the maximum I can get is Virgin Media 350, which is what I have but its 2-3X the price of a standard connection... Some people just can't afford that or don't even have it in their area.

My brother is paying £20 a month for 18Mbps... His apartment complex can't get anything better than that.

Going to be a rough new generation if these games increase in size or even stay the same as what it is now on the extreme end of 90GB.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@mrbojangles25 said:
@Pedro said:

Perfect.

This is what I was after, the amount of people that are even aware that its possible with current consoles... Next generation will be even more confusing.

You can store on a HDD but in order to play the game you have to transfer it over to a NVME... That sound like something 90% of console gamers won't do.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61519 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

That's my brother's pictures I used to help the topic.

Where I live the maximum I can get is Virgin Media 350, which is what I have but its 2-3X the price of a standard connection... Some people just can't afford that or don't even have it in their area.

My brother is paying £20 a month for 18Mbps... His apartment complex can't get anything better than that.

Going to be a rough new generation if these games increase in size or even stay the same as what it is now on the extreme end of 90GB.

Definitely. It's kinda off-topic, but we definitely need faster speeds. It's been a long time since I lived in the UK (born and raised,) and my parents paid the bill, but the speed was shite.

For my connection, I actually upgraded from 120 Mb/S to a gigabit, and my price went up $10. I live in Niagara-On-The-Lake, so I am pretty rural, but I was shocked.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@lundy86_4: Lucky I have been waiting for my area to get 1Gb connection for 3 years now, apparently Virgin plans on rolling out 1Gb by 2021 for all major cities in the UK. So fingers crossed.

My brother lives in a expensive appartment in Wimbledon yet he can't even get the speeds I have, things are strange in London... You can drive for 20 minutes and go from area that supports 1Gb to a area that doesn't even have Fibre.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58421 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@Pedro said:

Perfect.

This is what I was after, the amount of people that are even aware that its possible with current consoles... Next generation will be even more confusing.

You can store on a HDD but in order to play the game you have to transfer it over to a NVME... That sound like something 90% of console gamers won't do.

Yeah, and I think most console gamers don't really play a lot of games concurrently. This will be nice for the enthusiasts though.

It's nice to know you can store it on an external drive and it's available to install when you want, as opposed to having to download it. Not sure what the transfer rate is but I am sure it is faster than my 3.5 MB/sec download speed hahaha

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Its no secret that both Sony and Microsoft are putting emphasis on storage with all the benefits they say will come with NVME's but what I noticed after re-watching those hardware reveals... Both companies seem to be aware that Storage size's are not enough, as both made it very clear how to install a new NVME and Microsoft even going the proprietary route.

So are we doomed to repeat what happened during with the PS3 and X360?... Both consoles released with hard drive size's that weren't enough for that generation of games.

Once the manufacturing costs went down during that generation the PS3 slim came out with 250-500GB storage vs the 60GB offered at launch.

Games are hitting 90GB with ease now and understand that NVME's will offer caching so games sizes COULD reduce in size next generation BUT to what extent?... 10GB's less off a 90GB game?...

It seems it could be the case as both companies seem to be off the bat talking about expandable storage.

NVME prices, 1GB patches, 10GB DLC, 90GB games sizes... Sure people will say just delete games you don't play and make space?... The trouble with that is if you want to play that game again and you don't have a fast broadband connection you get this:

Clearly deleting games once you finished them will cause issues if you want to replay them.

I have had Forza Horizon 4 installed since I got it... I don't play it all the time but when I get a itch to play a racing game one Saturday morning, I don't have the time to wait 3 hours to re-download it every time.

I HOPE caching does its magic but the fact that both companies are talking about external storage during a hardware reveal in that much detail has me worried that we are about to get f***ed with expensive expandable memory.

The xbox 360 didn't even use install until late on the generation,its games ran entirely on disc,with a few game exceptions that could be bought online,but mostly on those years what you could buy online was small in size.

The PS3 didn't have full install for years,it partially installed data to help with the slower Blu-ray drive,but it wasn't design to install full games,i had a 60GB unit from launch and didn't have problems,the problem was if you bought latter on the generation digital version of games,and on PS3 that wasn't much of an issue,you could buy a laptop drive and move on.

Supposedly one of the ssd benefit will be smaller size do to having less redundant data.

When the time came that big games could be bought online already both came with bigger HDD.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 tormentos
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@Pedro said:

This is what I will do on PC as I have a 6GB WD BLUE for storage... But will it even be possible with next generation consoles with all the caching that will be going on?... Will they lock transferring files to a traditional HDD prevent corruption of those files. Sony made it very clear you need to match there speeds for storage and they will have a list of drives compatible.

The image is not mine, my brother sent me that image last week when he got bored in lockdown and ordered a PS4 Pro with CODMW and was hit with the reality of his connection. I just added it for impact to the topic.

1TB fast NVME's are $200!... In order to increase the PS5 storage to 2TB your looking at $400+. That is unprecedented.

I don't know what is more pathetic see a hermit downplay the use of SSD however small or big it is,or seen a hermit cry about price of SSD when they brag all day here about $1,000+ GPU and have brag about more expensive SSD for years.🤷‍♀️

By the way i don't have that problem i don't like digital games i like physical games,so is a matter of uninstalling and installing another game,on both xbox and PS5 my games will be physical.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@tormentos: This is a good point. Downloading games wasn't a thing then and eventually was... That said still doesn't change he fact that clearly both Sony and MS are aware that the storage sizes are small which isn't something they are proud off because I am sure they would rather have a 2TB drive in there but just can't afford to which is why they went out their way to explain storage solutions.

That I am aware that Caching will be a thing but now one has given examples to what percentage will it decrease game storage size.

Also games can be run on simple HDD's now and stored off them because of it with no issue but we have no idea if Sony/MS will lock out storing games on a external HDD to reduce complications, since they both are talking about external NVME drives and expanding NVME storage but ONLY at the same speed.

The fact they wen't out of their way to talk about expandable storage sways me to believe that these drive sizes are not enough and won't be enough for next generation games.

Say a current generation game is 90GB and Caching chops that down to 60GB... 1/3rd, if next generation games increase in size to 120GB and caching again is 1/3rd the games will still be 80GB.

Yes that number is out my a*** but it could be a lot less than 1/3rd, it could be 1/5th... Trouble is we don't know.

All we know is games have increased drastically to the point where 10 big games and your 1TB HDD is finished.

I dunno to me its just a red flag if a company talks about solutions before we are aware of a problem, if caching helped drastically they wouldn't have been gone out their way to create propitiatory drives.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 tormentos

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

@tormentos: This is a good point. Downloading games wasn't a thing then and eventually was... That said still doesn't change he fact that clearly both Sony and MS are aware that the storage sizes are small which isn't something they are proud off because I am sure they would rather have a 2TB drive in there but just can't afford to which is why they went out their way to explain storage solutions.

That I am aware that Caching will be a thing but now one has given examples to what percentage will it decrease game storage size.

Also games can be run on simple HDD's now and stored off them because of it with no issue but we have no idea if Sony/MS will lock out storing games on a external HDD to reduce complications, since they both are talking about external NVME drives and expanding NVME storage but ONLY at the same speed.

The fact they wen't out of their way to talk about expandable storage sways me to believe that these drive sizes are not enough and won't be enough for next generation games.

Say a current generation game is 90GB and Caching chops that down to 60GB... 1/3rd, if next generation games increase in size to 120GB and caching again is 1/3rd the games will still be 80GB.

Yes that number is out my a*** but it could be a lot less than 1/3rd, it could be 1/5th... Trouble is we don't know.

All we know is games have increased drastically to the point where 10 big games and your 1TB HDD is finished.

I dunno to me its just a red flag if a company talks about solutions before we are aware of a problem, if caching helped drastically they wouldn't have been gone out their way to create propitiatory drives.

I know it is a good point because size keep increasing,but is not like every PC out there comes with a 2TB SSD or close specially a 4.0 one.

I get why they pack such a small drive after all they have to make a balance in pricing,hell i don't even know how sony was able to pack such a fast ssd,man something like that on PC is $200.

Is odvious that the size will not be enough,even today 1TB is nothing,but if they get rid of redundant data size will probably come down,and well people will have to buy another drive,but is not like SSD will be for ever $200 for 1TB prices would come down as they always do,the question is would it be fats enough.

In MS case they sell propietary which i feel could be even worse,judging by how over price xbox 360 HDD were.

Oldgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Oldgun
Member since 2009 • 391 Posts

I think PS5 will allow you to transfer your downloaded games with all the patches to an external HDD for storing/archiving when not playing. If you ever get the itch, you only need to transfer back the game to your internal SSD and you're good to go. Its what I have been doing with the PS4. I have very few games on the internal SSD but all my other games are stored on an external 4TB drive. I don't see it as a potential issue with the PS5.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@tormentos said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@Pedro said:

I don't know what is more pathetic see a hermit downplay the use of SSD however small or big it is,or seen a hermit cry about price of SSD when they brag all day here about $1,000+ GPU and have brag about more expensive SSD for years.🤷‍♀️

By the way i don't have that problem i don't like digital games i like physical games,so is a matter of uninstalling and installing another game,on both xbox and PS5 my games will be physical.

Crying?...

I swear you console gamer's are ridiculous.

No one is downplaying a thing.

And you have it confused like most console gamer's... PC gamers have been talking about SSD's for operating systems, game storage has always been recommended on a fast 7200RPM drive, ONLY recently since prices have dropped SSD's are recommended to high end gamers for game storage but its not needed.

I know how you console gamer's like to generalise about PC gamer's and bend past to help your posts... But no your wrong.

As for you having physical media?... That's great, but have you not seen the sales charts?... Digital sales are beating physical on console. Their is even a Xbox One S without a disk drive ffs.

Stay in your bubble of hate and delusion.

Reality is these consoles will cost more than PS4/X1 and will have limited storage with expensive storage expansion for games.

Game loading is 30-40 seconds on average on my SSHD that cost's $90... A game loading 20 seconds faster game is not the same impact as a game looking better with a $1000 GPU by the way. One is a dumber purchase.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#20  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70019 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@Pedro said:

Yep. You can select the hard drive you want to install and then you can transfer it to any of the connect harddrives. Its supper simple and convenient. I have only done it for the Xbox though.

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Perfect.

If space is an issue for a gamer they would find the solution and already be exposed to the solution. The people who aren't aware simply don't care because its not an issue. You are trying to make an issue out of something that really isn't an issue.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By tormentos

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Crying?...

I swear you console gamer's are ridiculous.

No one is downplaying a thing.

And you have it confused like most console gamer's... PC gamers have been talking about SSD's for operating systems, game storage has always been recommended on a fast 7200RPM drive, ONLY recently since prices have dropped SSD's are recommended to high end gamers for game storage but its not needed.

I know how you console gamer's like to generalise about PC gamer's and bend past to help your posts... But no your wrong.

As for you having physical media?... That's great, but have you not seen the sales charts?... Digital sales are beating physical on console. Their is even a Xbox One S without a disk drive ffs.

Stay in your bubble of hate and delusion.

Reality is these consoles will cost more than PS4/X1 and will have limited storage with expensive storage expansion for games.

Game loading is 30-40 seconds on average on my SSHD that cost's $90... A game loading 20 seconds faster game is not the same impact as a game looking better with a $1000 GPU by the way. One is a dumber purchase.

WTF you can't even keep up with your own freaking argument you are complaining about small space you bring PRICE into the equation to portrait how expensive a 2TB SSD would be for PS5 yet you claim you are not crying that is exactly what you are doing.

You know what is happening with you hermits here? You feel threaten by consoles,you see that next gen unlike this gen consoles are not arriving with weak GPU and slow ass HDD, and a shitty CPU,now they have capable GPU and in both cases expensive even the weaker 5700XT which set you back $400 the 2080RTX which is were probably the xbox will land will set you even further $600+ and up most models are over $700,then come in SSD again which set you on PC over $100 depending on the model and one as fast as the PS5 one even more.

Great CPU i mean a Ryzen 2 3.5 and 3.6ghz? Man that cost what on PC? close to $300?

Yeah you pay $1000 or more for a GPU which is not even double of what the xbox series X has,and to add instul to enjury the xbox will probably retail for $500 man it most be killing you inside,you most feel stupid for wasting so much money for some frames more on the same damn game.

But don't feel bad most PC gamers aren't as stupid as you are which is why those RTX2080ti have shitty penetration on the market,because most are not dumb enough to go for those over priced GPU.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I bought a 4TB external. I'm good.

Avatar image for slimdogmilionar
slimdogmilionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#23 slimdogmilionar
Member since 2014 • 1343 Posts

I think it’s good to have a “starter HDD” in a console and let the consumer upgrade based on their needs. For people that game casually 500gb or a 1tb may be plenty, where as a hardcore gamer would probably need 2 or 3tb of storage. I don’t think it would be fair to the casual gamer to be forced to buy a console at a higher price point with more storage than they need.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24  Edited By inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10503 Posts

I could be wrong, but I'm genuinely optimistic that games will more often be in the 40-50gb range next gen - the amount of data duplication currently per game is likely ridiculously high. Modern Warfare is currently 160GB. There's no way there isn't a ridiculous amount of asset duplication in there, wouldn't surprise me if that wouldhave been 50-60GB if it had no duplication.

Not only that, but with the speeds of the next gen ssds, I bet they can store the data in a much more compressed state unlike this gen where anything compressed would then take time to uncompress before anything could be done with it.

That said, more space would still have been good.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

For me space hasn’t been a major problem. I have slow internet as well so I need to really make sure I want to play an old game I deleted if I’m gonna be downloading for a while.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14816 Posts

Could be. I'm not getting a PS5 initially, or at all. Depends on games and features. One deterrent will be the download speeds. I will take improved download speeds over storage. I had my PS3 and PS4 hooked up wired and they got nowhere near the download speeds that I get on my phone or PC, which are both wireless... and I have 600 Mbps download internet. So it was annoying to have download games on Sony consoles. But I game on PC primarily now and I'm used to deleting old games to make room and download/re-downloading. Doesn't take that long.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

@lundy86_4: Lucky I have been waiting for my area to get 1Gb connection for 3 years now, apparently Virgin plans on rolling out 1Gb by 2021 for all major cities in the UK. So fingers crossed.

My brother lives in a expensive appartment in Wimbledon yet he can't even get the speeds I have, things are strange in London... You can drive for 20 minutes and go from area that supports 1Gb to a area that doesn't even have Fibre.

You think that's weird, you should come to the US. Lol In rural areas, cable companies give you 3 mb/s down, and they charge you 70 dollars or more for it. I have 600 mb/s down with a 4 TB data cap, but only because I'm paying 100 dollars a month for it. It's supposed to go up to 150 dollars a month once the year contract ends. I can't switch, either, as monopolies hold basically everyone in American hostage thanks to corporate lobbying.

Yours doesn't sound appealing at all, but I can guarantee we have it worse here. Lol

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12577 Posts

I'm using a 500gb SSD in my PS4 Pro, so this will be an upgrade for me. I rarely ever play more than a few games at a time so deleting them isn't a problem for me. I also have an external 2tb drive but I don't bother using it.

I could be wrong, but doesn't the new consoles have an upgrade slot, where it will add to the existing storage capacity, not replace it?

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95:

Until last year I was stuck with 10mb dsl, and cable internet wasn't available to my area that was any faster to be worth wild. They happened to upgrade their infrastructure in my area because of the nearby school (a mile away) I was shocked to find out that I could finally get some fast internet. 400mb/s down 20mb/s up. No caps thank goodness.

Atomic1977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Atomic1977
Member since 2004 • 344 Posts

Storage will always be a issue take a look at Nintendo for a instance. The most recent system the Switch Lite has a internal storage of 32GB with half of that taken up by its operating system. They also use micro SD cards to expand it.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

@joshrmeyer said:

I'm using a 500gb SSD in my PS4 Pro, so this will be an upgrade for me. I rarely ever play more than a few games at a time so deleting them isn't a problem for me. I also have an external 2tb drive but I don't bother using it.

I could be wrong, but doesn't the new consoles have an upgrade slot, where it will add to the existing storage capacity, not replace it?

I feel the same. I play 2-3 games at a time. And my connection is slow, but I don't mind letting a game download overnight or while at work.