Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45322 Posts

https://insider-gaming.com/new-tomb-raider-game-to-be-open-world-its-claimed/

The next Tomb Raider game is in development, and a new claim has some early information about the game.

According to V Scooper, a Twitter user with a history of past scoops, the next Tomb Raider will be a “fully open world” game. In addition to the open world, the game will be set in India.

“Featuring vast sceneries, free use of the motorcycle, parachute, and common Lara’s traversal methods to unrestrictedly navigate across a big map and its challenges,” they said in their post.

They doubled down on the claims saying that more information on the new game should be coming “soon”. Lastly, they said that the game “suppose to release in less than a year if there are no delays. But this is totally not locked.”

As always, none of this information has been verified by Insider Gaming or officially confirmed. Until then, take the information with a grain of salt. Still, an open world Tomb Raider game sounds like it could add new life into a franchise that found a rebirth with it’s latest trilogy.

Thoughts, SW? Seems pretty badass to me, hope it’s true.. Also makes me miss Uncharted.

Ospi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Ospi
Member since 2006 • 559 Posts

India is a massive untapped resource in regards to game location imo. There's a lot of opportunities there to make games feel fresh.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44356 Posts

Well my interest is definitely piqued.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39390 Posts

India is a good setting for a video game, but this woke garbage ain't gonna be good.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#5  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70019 Posts

Well that didn't take long for folks to complain about wokeness.😂 Next would be the visually impaired one to say "She looks like a man".🤭

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56276 Posts

I'm Tomb Raider(ed) out at this point and the reboot trilogy was more then enough for me. That said, I'm kinda ready to retired this long great of a franchise. This new Tomb oops, this new Lara Croft (Tomb Raider name is going away right?) game really needs to convince me it's radically new stuff to explore.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1138 Posts

I love the choice of location. Open world is something that could fit in well with the TR franchise. Sounds promising.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6410 Posts

Um they do realise it's called Tomb Raider, right? tomb's generally mean underground, so an open world is just an odd fit.

I'll wait until its confirmed and we have gameplay footage before I pass too much judgement, it is a rumour after all.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5272 Posts

@last_lap: Most video game titles are meaningless anyways. For example, Star Wars. Much material has nothing to do with space warfare and it is mostly based on science-fiction and fantasy.

dark_drag765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dark_drag765
Member since 2005 • 1057 Posts

Lost me at open world

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6410 Posts

@onesiphorus: But it's not just the title, Lara is an archaeologist who searches for treasure in tombs.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52448 Posts

Still using one locale, open world. And once again, ripping off Uncharted.

Hoping these will remain rumors. Not that I have much faith in that studio, regardless of what they'd do.

Miquella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Miquella
Member since 2022 • 760 Posts

Why don't they make a game about China, think about exploring the tomb of Qin Shi Huang and the terracotta army.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46488 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

Hoping these will remain rumors. Not that I have much faith in that studio, regardless of what they'd do.

You still played and enjoyed the last three Tomb Raider games?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 freedomfreak

@R4gn4r0k: Played? Sure. Enjoyed? Not really. I went through the nu-trilogy again earlier this year and I stopped at Shadow. And the years before I mostly told myself they're really not that bad. But they kinda are. Not awful bad, just not interestingly good. Bland. Like every dish Gordon tastes that wasn't made by the nice black lady.

Chloe Frazer is a much better Croft than whatever CD turned her into and I much prefer Uncharted's sense of adventure rather than CD's.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#16 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59180 Posts

So garbage, then.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22391 Posts

I like the location, but the full open world turns me off. Not every game has to be open world ffs!

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By uninspiredcup
@freedomfreak said:

Exactly. The OG's (i.e. best) are globe trotting, like Bond.

Much of the time not even in a tomb. Only the OG is primarily in "a tomb" and it's weaker for it. 2 evolves it, one level to the next could be anything, 3 adds in mega-man like level selection whereby multiple routes on each level exist.

Technology evolves, game devolved into slop.

0 hope here.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@freedomfreak: Shadow should've just been more Rise but it wasn't

Rise and that Baba Yaga expansion are my favourites.

Shadow did add some nice quality improvements like people speaking their native tongue or removing that pigeon shit that is on every single ledge.

But overall it felt a lot more linear and a lot more hand holdy.

I think TR2013 put the ball ready, ROTTR kicked the ball in and Shadow is that blind goalie that all the football fans talk shit about for having shit in his eyes.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 freedomfreak

@R4gn4r0k: @uninspiredcup: It's never gonna be what I ( and other fans) want it to be. Tightly designed, level based, fun and so forth. Gameplay.

If it were up to me, I'd make a game about Lara's grandmother in WW2 and how she'd try to keep world heritage out of nazi hands. You'd be going across the world, competing for artifacts and such. Also, add supernatural stuff like Wolfenstein.

Literally Indiana Jones, which is what they were going for when they made the first Tomb Raider, I believe. Indiana Jones for women and coomers.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 R4gn4r0k

@freedomfreak said:

@R4gn4r0k: @uninspiredcup: It's never gonna be what I ( and other fans) want it to be. Tightly designed, level based, fun and so forth. Gameplay.

If it were up to me, I'd make a game about Lara's grandmother in WW2 and how she'd try to keep world heritage out of nazi hands. You'd be going across the world, competing for artifacts and such. Also, add supernatural stuff like Wolfenstein.

Literally Indiana Jones, which is what they were going for when they made the first Tomb Raider, I believe. Indiana Jones for women and coomers.

What do you feel is lacking in Rise of the tomb raider? I know it's more cinematic and more Uncharted, but what can you pinpoint to what is wrong in its gameplay?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By freedomfreak
@R4gn4r0k said:

What do you feel is lacking in Rise of the tomb raider? I know it's more cinematic and more Uncharted, but what can you pinpoint to what is wrong in its gameplay?

Its platforming and gunplay is way too lose. I do like Lara's scurrying like animations in combat. Makes sense for her build. Every pitfall or whatever comes down to press button to get out. There's no danger. I find the exploration lacking. The tombs improved over the games, but the open world stuff is just press button to receive xp. And I don't care about sidequests that unlock a lockpick, which is only good for pressbuttonreceivexp stuff. Mind you, that's a problem with open world games in general, which is why not every franchise should succumb to it. Tomb Raider being one of them.

It's one of those franchises that dropped its own identity to chase more successful ones that don't necessarily work with that game.

And I'll still get the next Tomb Raider and I'll most likely complain about it unless they really turned it around. And I'll gladly eat crow then because I'll have a new, good Tomb Raider game.

Also, way too dramatic storytelling and characterization, which again, is a problem with games wanting to be Schindler's List.

*edit* Gunplay is actually the least of my worries. The platforming being tap tap tap to get to your destination is. You're never forced to stand still and observe your environments to see what is up next.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 R4gn4r0k

@freedomfreak said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Its platforming and gunplay is way too lose. I do like Lara's scurrying like animations in combat. Makes sense for her build. Every pitfall or whatever comes down to press button to get out. There's no danger. I find the exploration lacking. The tombs improved over the games, but the open world stuff is just press button to receive xp. And I don't care about sidequests that unlock a lockpick, which is only good for pressbuttonreceivexp stuff. Mind you, that's a problem with open world games in general, which is why not every franchise should succumb to it. Tomb Raider being one of them.

It's one of those franchises that dropped its own identity to chase more successful ones that don't necessarily work with that game.

And I'll still get the next Tomb Raider and I'll most likely complain about it unless they really turned it around. And I'll gladly eat crow then because I'll have a new, good Tomb Raider game.

Also, way too dramatic storytelling and characterization, which again, is a problem with games wanting to be Schindler's List.

*edit* Gunplay is actually the least of my worries. The platforming being tap tap tap to get to your destination is. You're never forced to stand still and observe your environments to see what is up next.

True, its platforming changed dramatically and to its core.

And yeah I get what you mean. Whenever I hear of a game going open world, this as well, so many examples really:

I always think to myself: no, stop chasing trends, you'll lose your identity.

It's like if they were to announce Half Life 3 but this time it's a hero based looter shooter.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 freedomfreak

@R4gn4r0k said:

And yeah I get what you mean. Whenever I hear of a game going open world, this as well, so many examples really:

It's like if they were to announce Half Life 3 but this time it's a hero based looter shooter.

Nasty.

It's why I'm weary about old favorite games receiving modern installments. Again, I don't have to buy them, but seeing them burn ain't nice, either.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By uninspiredcup
@freedomfreak said:

Yes. Under no illusions, those days are gone. They are no longer designed to challenge or engage but passive cinematic experiences using the brand name to cast the net out as far as possible.

I basically expect Assassins' Creed. Add in some "press X to win" Arkham combat, hold X to make Lara seemlessly move from bla to bla, where not really doing much.

Bunch of annoying cutscenes interrupting, Hold "W" to move while you watch out shitty movie, check out all these characters you don't care about and actively dislike.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Emotion. Did you cry?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 R4gn4r0k

@freedomfreak said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Nasty.

It's why I'm weary about old favorite games receiving modern installments. Again, I don't have to buy them, but seeing them burn ain't nice, either.

We have come to a point where reboots and revivals come at a cost. They all have to be so streamlined to attract a wide enough audience that they can barely resemble the original product anymore.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 freedomfreak
@uninspiredcup said:

Yes. Under no illusions, those days are gone. They are no longer designed to challenging or engaging but passive cinematic experiences using the brand name to cast the net out as far as possible.

I basically expect Assassins' Creed. Add in some "press X to win" Arkham combat, hold X to make Lara seemlessly move from bla to bla, where not really doing much.

Bunch of annoying cutscenes interrupting, Hold "W" to move while you watch out shitty movie, check out all these characters you don't care about and actively dislike.

Mhm. Love to be proven wrong but this

@R4gn4r0k said:

We have come to a point where reboots and revivals come at a cost. They all have to be so streamlined to attract a wide enough audience that they can barely resemble the original product anymore.

is the problem. Wish I was a billionnaire, so I could buy up these studios and trademarks and make people put out good games. With a gun or something. Just take the financial hit and be heralded as the savior of gaming on websites like 4chan and the Steam discussion boards.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 R4gn4r0k

@freedomfreak said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Yes. Under no illusions, those days are gone. They are no longer designed to challenging or engaging but passive cinematic experiences using the brand name to cast the net out as far as possible.

Mhm. Love to be proven wrong but this

@R4gn4r0k said:

is the problem. Wish I was a billionnaire, so I could buy up these studios and trademarks and make people put out good games. With a gun or something. Just take the financial hit and be heralded as the savior of gaming on websites like 4chan and the Steam discussion boards.

Nah see the moment you become a billionnaire you get corrupted all the same and the cycle starts all over again.

It's unbreakable.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Pedro

@uninspiredcup said:
@freedomfreak said:

Yes. Under no illusions, those days are gone. They are no longer designed to challenge or engage but passive cinematic experiences using the brand name to cast the net out as far as possible.

Gamers' have praised, amplify and financially supported games like what you described all for the desire for gaming to be "recognized" at the cost of actually gaming.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Pedro
@R4gn4r0k said:

Nah see the moment you become a billionnaire you get corrupted all the same and the cycle starts all over again.

It's unbreakable.

Money doesn't corrupt, it enables a person true desires with little inhibition.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7333 Posts

That's a bummer man.

The open world is. India is a cool setting.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1260 Posts

An open world where you have to discover tombs could actually be cool.

Could being the key word. I'm sure it won't be.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9581 Posts

The open world definitely gives me hope... although I'm not the biggest Tomb Raider fan.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58421 Posts

India sounds cool.

The open-world...could be good. Could be bad.

Tomb Raider would benefit from the semi-sandbox nature of maps like DA: Inquisition or The Outer Worlds where you have medium-sized, highly detailed maps that feel open-world but benefit from detail like well-designed dungeons and such.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#35 texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14928 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@freedomfreak: Shadow should've just been more Rise but it wasn't

Rise and that Baba Yaga expansion are my favourites.

Shadow did add some nice quality improvements like people speaking their native tongue or removing that pigeon shit that is on every single ledge.

But overall it felt a lot more linear and a lot more hand holdy.

I think TR2013 put the ball ready, ROTTR kicked the ball in and Shadow is that blind goalie that all the football fans talk shit about for having shit in his eyes.

Shadow is by far the best of the reboots, especially with all the DLC tombs.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2467 Posts

After that artwork two months ago and the success of Elden Ring (following so many other open world games), did we expect the new Tomb Raider to be anything other than an open world without globetrotting?

Intention is pretty clear. If the focus was tombs, the first art would have backgrounds more like the old covers.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 706 Posts

I like they are using India. Seems like an underused location.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34698 Posts

Let me guess. We will not raid any tombs, solving puzzles while jumping around like a badass killing tigers like the old games. We will walk and talk with people. We will collect hundreds of bullshit. We will craft bullshit. We will liberate camps.

Wow. I'm already not interested. But we can always stay hyped, because India I guess.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#39 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24996 Posts

Assassins creed: Lara coft Edition.

yawn!!

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39390 Posts

How many camps will there be to take over? Best guess is at least 40 copy pasted camps. Please enjoy.

Open world games is the best singleplayer genre, but close to not a single developer was able to achieve the full potential of an open world game. In fact, none achieved its full potential, but a few did a good job. One day (i pray this is Larian's next game), we will see what a highly interactable and dynamic open world is, and how far superior it is to any linear experiences.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7267 Posts

Think tomb raider games are best set in linear worlds.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 R4gn4r0k

@freedomfreak: I never bumped a thread before but yeah, seems like the next Half Life is indeed.. a hero shooter:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/s/6ZEXW0HhVo

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 freedomfreak

@R4gn4r0k: So gross. Always be careful what you wish for.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 uninspiredcup
@freedomfreak said:

If this was any other developer agree. But it's Valve played ungodly amounts of TF2, so, while kinda don't care? Bit more optimistic.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 R4gn4r0k

@freedomfreak said:

Gonna rub my magic lamp a little harder now.