Rise of the Ronin outperforms Nioh 1 and 2!

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45307 Posts

According to the company’s latest financial results, the PS5exclusive is selling faster than both Nioh and Nioh 2. The open world action title was released in March, published by Sony Interactive Entertainment.

While specific numbers weren’t provided, Rise of the Ronin was released during a busy period, coming only weeks after Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, another PS5 exclusive action title.

As of October 2022, the Nioh franchise had exceeded 7 million units worldwide, according to Koei Tecmo. Specific sales figures for each game in the series, as well as the remaster of the first game, aren’t available.

Rise of the Ronin was met with mostly positive reviews, earning a rating of 76 on review aggregator Metacritic. VGC’s review called it “A fine open-world adventure that never elevates itself to greatness.”

KT highlights in its results that the game has an 8.7 user rating on the platform. It’s worth noting that while user rating can give a rough estimation of fan consensus on a game, anyone can leave a user review for a product on Metacritic regardless if they’ve played the title or not.

KT also highlights the game’s graphics and “novelty as an open world,” as challenge points, two criticisms that were repeated in several reviews.

VGC’s review read, “It’s not just the open-world sensibilities that feel dated, the game looks incredibly dated too. It’s very colourful, and from an art perspective the game is strong, but from a technical perspective, it feels a decade behind genre stable-mates.”

Congrats to Sony and Koei! I started playing and think it’s interesting so far. How about you,SW? Are you interested in Rise of the Ronin?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46484 Posts

Playstation is having a strong start of the year. But will it remain equally competitive when all the big MS exclusives start to drop?

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#3 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13047 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

Playstation is having a strong start of the year.

Third parties are having a strong start of the year. But keep in mind, Rise of the Ronin only scored 77. Stellar Blade only scored an 82. Helldivers 2 only scored an 83. So all three of those third party games flopped.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7246 Posts

@kvallyx said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Third parties are having a strong start of the year. But keep in mind, Rise of the Ronin only scored 77. Stellar Blade only scored an 82. Helldivers 2 only scored an 83. So all three of those third party games flopped.

plus final fantasy is a 8 as well.

8 scored games are not flops. so 3 games scored a 8 and one 7.

that is much better than xbox 2023 scored games. redfall 4

I will remember this when xbox games get a 8 score.

its sad when gamers say 8 scored games are flops. sounds anal to me.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 R4gn4r0k  Online

@kvallyx said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Hmm I forgot about Helldivers. Playstation is having an excellent start of the year!

Stellar Blade, Final Fantasy, Rise of Ronin... can't be played anywhere else. Sony made the right choice going for these third party offerings, and publishing them.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58417 Posts

Glad to see people getting a good game.

Is this a soulsborn-style game? Or more in the vein of Assassin's Creed? I'm just wondering why TC compared its performance to Nioh.

@gifford38 said:
@kvallyx said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

I'm sorry but is there actually a technical, objective metric for "flop" or is this just SW bullshit?

The games [AFAIK] have been very successful and despite above-average-but-not-stellar critic reception, the player reception has been quite excellent.

Labeling these games "flops" seems kind of harsh and undeserved.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 R4gn4r0k  Online
@gifford38 said:
@kvallyx said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

I agree, I miss the days when we had some noteworthy flops like Ryse or The Order that scored really low and below expectations.

One of my all time favourite flops was Twilight Princess.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KvallyX

@gifford38 said:
@kvallyx said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

I didn't make the rules here at SW regarding flops. Final Fantasy Rebirth, a decent third party game, goes multiplatform this year. Xbox games in 2023, Starfield got an 85. Forza got an 84. Hi-Fi Rush got an 89. Age of Empires 2 Definitive Edition for Xbox got an 86. Those are first party developed games, not outsourced 3rd party developed games. You said "that is much better than Xbox 2023 scored games". Not sure how you figure that, when it's actually the opposite of what you said.

@R4gn4r0k said:
@kvallyx said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Hmm I forgot about Helldivers. Playstation is having an excellent start of the year!

Stellar Blade, Final Fantasy, Rise of Ronin... can't be played anywhere else. Sony made the right choice going for these third party offerings, and publishing them.

Sadly, PlayStation first party studios are having a really bad couple years :(

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KvallyX

@mrbojangles25 said:

I'm sorry but is there actually a technical, objective metric for "flop" or is this just SW bullshit?

The games [AFAIK] have been very successful and despite above-average-but-not-stellar critic reception, the player reception has been quite excellent.

This is System Wars. Put your big boy britches on and endure.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 R4gn4r0k  Online

@mrbojangles25 said:

Is this a soulsborn-style game? Or more in the vein of Assassin's Creed? I'm just wondering why TC compared its performance to Nioh.

To answer both your questions:

This is an assassin's creed style game. You are in a historic setting and you meet historical people.

The combat revolves around timing the parry button. So in a way it is like Dark Souls, but it's also way, way different.

I always considered a game a flop when it doesn't live up to the hype on Gamespot.

So like if there was a hype thread and people could vote A-AA-AAA-AAAA scores.

Let's say a game was hyped up to be a 9 and it got a 8, that's a flop.

But afaik these games didn't have hype threads leading up to release.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mrbojangles25
@kvallyx said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

This is System Wars. Put your big boy britches on and endure.

Oh I wasn't complaining lol I was just curious if there was like an agreed-upon thing of if you're just being a stick in the mud lol

I don't mind the bullshit (I mean, I do, but as you said this is SW) as I got waders I can wear.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 KvallyX

@mrbojangles25 said:

Oh I wasn't complaining lol I was just curious if there was like an agreed-upon thing lol.

I don't mind the bullshit (I mean, I do, but as you said this is SW) as I got waders I can wear.

Good, because it's gonna get DEEP! 😂 j/k, love you.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44177 Posts

Flop of the Ronin. ;o

Someone had to do it. lol :P

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mrbojangles25

@kvallyx said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Oh I wasn't complaining lol I was just curious if there was like an agreed-upon thing lol.

Good, because it's gonna get DEEP! 😂 j/k, love you.

😘😉😂

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 KvallyX
@R4gn4r0k said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

To answer both your questions:

This is an assassin's creed style game. You are in a historic setting and you meet historical people.

The combat revolves around timing the parry button. So in a way it is like Dark Souls, but it's also way, way different.

I always considered a game a flop when it doesn't live up to the hype on Gamespot.

So like if there was a hype thread and people could vote A-AA-AAA-AAAA scores.

Let's say a game was hyped up to be a 9 and it got a 8, that's a flop.

But afaik these games didn't have hype threads leading up to release.

I think the era of hype threads are over here anyway. It seems to have dwindled, like the number of members still posting here. It's usually just the same 30 day in and day out.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1258 Posts

Haven't played it... but hope their next game isn't open world.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 R4gn4r0k  Online

@kvallyx said:

I think the era of hype threads are over here anyway. It seems to have dwindled, like the number of members still posting here. It's usually just the same 30 day in and day out.

Well it's still nice to come on here and talk to people about video games.

But yeah I guess we've (and the forum has) gotten a bit long in the tooth.

Where do all the youngsters get their info on games? Tiktok?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 R4gn4r0k  Online

@SecretPolice said:

Flop of the Ronin. ;o

Rise of the flops

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 KvallyX

@R4gn4r0k said:

That is probably their number one source. No reading involved. I don't even think they teach reading in schools anymore.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 R4gn4r0k  Online

@kvallyx said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

That is probably their number one source. No reading involved. I don't even think they teach reading in schools anymore.

Yeah what's the point in reading anyway, just teach kids how to find the "buy" button and they're set for life.

All joking aside, sometimes I just want to read a preview or review, but the internet makes it so hard to focus on written text with all these ads and videos that pop up. I usually get tired of it before I'm done reading the whole piece.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44177 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@SecretPolice said:

Flop of the Ronin. ;o

Rise of the flops

lol :P

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7246 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

@gifford38 said:
@kvallyx said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

thats what im trying to figure out. 8 scored games a flop?

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 KvallyX

@R4gn4r0k said:
@kvallyx said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Yeah what's the point in reading anyway, just teach kids how to find the "buy" button and they're set for life.

All joking aside, sometimes I just want to read a preview or review, but the internet makes it so hard to focus on written text with all these ads and videos that pop up. I usually get tired of it before I'm done reading the whole piece.

I close out windows EVERYDAY when I try to read something, especially on my phone. Sometimes these ads pop up, and have these TEENY TINY little "X"s that you need to click on to close out the ad. I have to zoom the page to hit the X. Sometimes they make the X white or transparent so you have to look around for the X to close shit out. But then it ends up loading back up anyway.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44344 Posts

Am in no rush to play this myself but it could be something that I get later on down the road when it’s significantly cheaper.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 R4gn4r0k  Online

@kvallyx said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@kvallyx said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

I close out windows EVERYDAY when I try to read something, especially on my phone. Sometimes these ads pop up, and have these TEENY TINY little "X"s that you need to click on to close out the ad. I have to zoom the page to hit the X. Sometimes they make the X white or transparent so you have to look around for the X to close shit out. But then it ends up loading back up anyway.

Yup, they make it so you can't click away ads, or that they will come back in an instant.

That is why on Android I moved on to Brave (which I use to watch youtube) and I have installed Firefox the other day.

Firefox allows plugins so I now have an adblocker and a cookie acceptor on mobile. It makes life so much easier, cuz I don't have time to click all these pop ups.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22809 Posts

Nice to see new ip getting sales... It's too bad team ninja couldn't make a banger out of it on the first go around, but perhaps if they get a second shot St it?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39335 Posts

"While specific numbers weren’t provided" that's like pretending that Starfield was successful with its 12M+ accounts tried the game and that 20M+ players having played Halo Infinite. If your game is successful, you're not ashamed of its numbers, and you provide them to the public.

There is no chance that it will be more successful than Nioh 1 because its the game that began their current "genre" of games they make. Afterwards, everything they release is just recycled garbage, and casualization of their combat systems.

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1170 Posts

I remember seeing this game, but I had zero clue that it even came out. Even worse is that it came out last month????

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hardwenzen

@mycatismilk said:

I remember seeing this game, but I had zero clue that it even came out. Even worse is that it came out last month????

They had $940 for marketing, and the guy at the studio that had it, deciced to buy himself an iphone.

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1170 Posts

@hardwenzen: LOOOOOOOOOOL

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7326 Posts

I hope it's doing well. The industry needs reminders that visuals aren't everything. Not saying don't try to make it pretty, but make it fun first.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6977 Posts

Since they keep doing these exclusive deals with Sony perhaps they can teach them how to use the Decima engine and fund a new Ninja Gaiden.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hardwenzen

@judaspete said:

I hope it's doing well. The industry needs reminders that visuals aren't everything. Not saying don't try to make it pretty, but make it fun first.

But the game doesn't even run well, and it was developed for a single system. How can you have early ps4 level visuals that can't even run at a perfectly stable 60fps and at least 1440p? And lets go further, petting cats an as activity, and doing 800 points of interest *chores* in an open world map is equally as shitty as it is in an ubisoft game, so no, this is not only about the game's visuals, but everything related to its gameplay as well.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By KvallyX

@R4gn4r0k said:
@kvallyx said:

Yup, they make it so you can't click away ads, or that they will come back in an instant.

That is why on Android I moved on to Brave (which I use to watch youtube) and I have installed Firefox the other day.

Firefox allows plugins so I now have an adblocker and a cookie acceptor on mobile. It makes life so much easier, cuz I don't have time to click all these pop ups.

Hmmm...I use Safari on my iPhone. Maybe I should try Firefox (or whatever Brave is).

loudheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 loudheadphones
Member since 2023 • 1172 Posts

@kvallyx said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Oh, now Helldivers 2 is a 3rd party game??

loudheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 loudheadphones
@gifford38 said:
@kvallyx said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

He is using MC/OC scores. So, FF7 Rebirth is 92/93

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 KvallyX

@loudheadphones said:
@kvallyx said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

A third party developed game, yes. 👍

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6377 Posts

Imaging congratulating Sony for a game it had no part in developing and just threw money at for exclusivity. That would be like congratulating MS for Palwords success, just plain dumb.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 hardwenzen

@kvallyx:

Loading Video...
WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9580 Posts

I gave a huge assertation in another recent thread so I won't go too in depth here, but yes, Rise of the Ronin is a a very good game. The graphics might be dialed back a bit, but that also helps with performance and other effects like plants and trees moving in the wind.

I'm about 25 hours in and the game is getting better and better. If you can slog through the first 2-5 hours things really open up and get better. Honestly to me it's a harder version of Ghost of Tsushima with a much deeper battle system.

The amount of weapons, combos, and synergies is amazing, and the gameplay rewards proper timing and experimentation.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#42 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69980 Posts

The struggle is real for this game.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45307 Posts

@last_lap said:

Imaging congratulating Sony for a game it had no part in developing and just threw money at for exclusivity. That would be like congratulating MS for Palwords success, just plain dumb.

You’ve been rekt! You didn’t even bother doing your own research!

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By KvallyX

@hardwenzen said:

@kvallyx:

Loading Video...

Ewe, are those yours?

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1324 Posts

@SolidGame_basic:

Seeing as the game is shit....utter shit....maybe not letting people know Sony were involved might have been an idea.......self ownage confirmed 😂🤣

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6377 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: So it took them 9yrs with Sony's help and they produced a PS3 looking game, congrats to Sony indeed lol.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#47 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69980 Posts

Well today I learn Sony aided in making a flop.😂

loudheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By loudheadphones

@kvallyx said:
@loudheadphones said:
@kvallyx said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Well, you said a third party games, while in other thread you've said "Never said it wasn’t first party." So, make up your mind

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#49  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34696 Posts

Worse game afaik, so that's bad news.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 KvallyX

@loudheadphones said:
@kvallyx said:
@loudheadphones said:
@kvallyx said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Well, you said a third party games, while in other thread you've said "Never said it wasn’t first party." So, make up your mind

We love you.